Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A letter to my husband on his 30th birthday

Sometimes I ache for the years I didn’t have you. But, every
day I am thankful for those days and how they shaped you into who you are now.
I feel like I get the best of you. I get what all those years made you into.
All the hurt. All the joy. All the trials. All the great times. All the
sadness. All the love you felt. All the things you held onto. All... the things
you let go of. All the falls. All the victories. All the growth. All the
prayers your mom prayed. All the cries you made to God. All the shaping and molding.
The very hand of God. The way He watched you as a boy, longing for you. The way
he drew you and rescued you. The way He loved you through it all. Reaching His
arm out to you. You desperately reaching yours to His. The need. The want. The
times you felt like you couldn’t go on. The times like you felt like you didn’t
know how. You’re so beautiful. Your smile. Your laugh. Your sense of
humor. Your heart. The way you long for
goodness. For Light. For Love. For Grace. Your humility. The way you’re not
afraid to admit when you’re wrong. The way you’re not afraid to lay your pride
on the table. The way you’re determined to defeat sin. You’re willingness. Your
effort. The way you just keep going. The way you keep reaching. I adore your heart for
family and friends. For connection. And truth. And intimacy. The way your
honest. Bridled at times for the sake of love. I love the way you wear music.
It looks so good on you. Your passion for it. To work on it. To make it. To
hear it. To feel it. I love your whit. I love how smart you are. How you know
how to fix a car and sew a button. How you have tool box and a sewing kit.
The way you like to figure things out. And you do.
I love your 30 old hands. Your 30 year old face. Your 30 year old heart. Your 30
year old lips. I love how much God wants to love you, still. At 30 years old
and forever after that. I love how He wants you to be honored and respected and
uplifted. How He wants to keep shaping you and growing you. And how now, I can
be a part of that. I can watch you in His hands. I can be in His hands with you. BE parts of His body with you.
Becoming one with this beautiful life. This beautiful man. It’s an honor to
watch this. To be a part of this. To love you. To honor you. To die for you
every day. I’ve loved you for a thousand years. I love you right now at 30.
And I’ll love you for a thousand more!

I’m so thankful for your life. It has completely changed
mine.

The other half of you.

-M

No comments:

Post a Comment