Wednesday, October 12, 2011

My brother, Samuel.

This won't take long. It's just a brief dedication to my one and only brother, Samuel. I'm just sitting here thinking about him because tomorrow is his birthday. And I really can't even believe he is going to be 21. There's something in me that wants to go back and relive our childhood again. I want to love him again and hold him and kiss him and watch him grow. I want to embrace the beauty of our relationship. I was 7 when he was born. I've adored him his whole life. I still don't think he knows how much. He was my little buddy. I would go into his room at night when he was little, for years, just to check to see if he was breathing and to kiss him. Sometimes I just sat and watched him sleep. Not wanting to miss even that because I adored him so much. He told me that as we got older, he would stay up at night waiting for me to come home, to know I was safe in the house. It was something that happened the moment he was born. Like this love between us. I'm sad that those years are gone. But my love for him never dies. All three of us are in this season right now where we are apart. Not apart in heart, but apart in distance. And it's extremely hard on us. I can feel this triangular pull. It's what's in the middle of us that ties us together. It's like a magnet. I feel them. I miss them. I still want to hold them. They are so much a part of me. So much. I can't really even express or put into words how much I adore and cherish them. Time has aged us. Within that time, our triangle was formed. To keep us connected in our physical distance. Parts of a whole. Tomorrow is a big deal to me. It's one of my favorite days of the year. I cherish my brother's life. I always have. I always will.

Sam, you're a treasure to me. No precious jewel or material item can even compare to your value in my heart. Your precious. You've been a continuous gift. You and Janine were my first students and first loves.

I love October 13, 1990.
-MLB






No comments:

Post a Comment